Congratulations you found the easter eggs before the Easter Bunny!
REGISTER for your chance to win the ultimate Easter Basket!
Delectable Chocolates since 1914, Australia’s legendary chocolatier since 1914 now online. Ernesthillier.com.au
THE NATIONAL REDRESS SCHEME FOR PEOPLE SEXUALLY ABUSED AS CHILDREN IN AUSTRALIAN INSTITUTIONS
WHAT IS IT?
* A $3.8 billion scheme designed to deliver redress for about 60,000 people sexually abused as children in Australian institutions
* It began operating in July 2018 and runs for 10 years
* It involves a monetary payment, access to counselling and a direct personal response, such as an apology, from the responsible institution (if the survivor wants it).
WHAT INSTITUTIONS HAVE JOINED?
* The Commonwealth, all state and territory governments
* 222 non-government institutions such as churches, schools, charities, children's homes and community groups, covering more than 50,960 sites
* They include the Catholic Church, the Anglican Church, the Salvation Army, the Uniting Church, Scouts Australia, the YMCA, Australian Christian Churches, Hillsong Church, the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), Life Without Barriers, Legacy Australia.
WHAT INSTITUTIONS REFUSE TO JOIN?
* The Jehovah's Witnesses, who say they do not have the institutional settings the scheme is designed to cover
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE INSTITUTIONS THAT INTEND TO JOIN?
* The Australian Olympic Committee, Commonwealth Games Australia and Paralympics Australia
* Swimming Australia, Netball Australia, Tennis NSW and Tennis Australia
* Church of England Boys' Society (through Anglican dioceses), Presbyterian Church, The Disability Trust, Yeshivah Centre Melbourne
WHAT IS THE DEADLINE?
* Institutions have until June 30 to join
* Institutions named in redress applications or in the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse can provide a written commitment by June 30 and complete the process by December 31
* After June 30, previously unnamed institutions not already part of the scheme will be given six months to join after being identified in applications, before being outed publicly and facing sanctions
* Survivors can lodge applications until June 30, 2027.
APPLICATIONS AND REDRESS PAYMENTS
* 7133 applications received (by June 12)
* 2501 payments made totalling almost $202 million
* 623 redress offers awaiting a decision by survivors
* More than 500 applications on hold because at least one of the institutions named in the application has yet to join the scheme (as of late May).
© AAP 2020